This is an online course, which you can study for independently and at your own pace.
All organisations that handle personal information are required to comply with the Data Protection Act. A "subject access request" allows people to find out what information is held about them - electronically and in some paper records. Companies must adhere to strict regulations regarding privacy and disclosure. Yet as with many areas of the law, the regulations can be complex.
Data Protection will enable learners to understand issues such as choice, consent, transparency, security and the legislation. They will learn how to handle data correctly and how to respond to requests for information.
Data Protection enables you to:
- Understand their commercial and legal responsibilities
- Handle data securely, competently and effectively
- Respond correctly to requests, providing the appropriate information
- Put in place, and adhere to, the required policies and procedures
- Take the practical steps needed to ensure organisational compliance
This course is aimed at all staff in an organisation who work with personal data and therefore need to comply with the Data Protection Act. It provides essential background information and an overview for newcomers while more experienced staff can use the course as a refresher.
Learning outcomesPrivacy and data protection
What the law says
- What is privacy and data protection?
- What are the current legal arrangements for privacy in the UK?
- What are the Eight Principles of Data Protection?
Duties and obligations
- To whom does data protection apply?
- To what information does data protection apply?
- What is the difference between personal data and sensitive data?
- Does the Act give people specific rights?
- What are the exemptions?
- Is the Data Protection Act enforceable?
- What key concepts do data controllers need to understand? vWhat about data collected via surveillance and CCTV?
- How do we comply with the Eight Data Protection principles?
- What is Durant?
- What about confidentiality?
- What happens if we get it wrong?
- Why would we receive subject access requests?
- Policies and procedures
- Do we have to log the requests we receive?
- How do we get consent?
- What if we don't manage our information very well?
Each course includes a fact sheet that you can print off or download. The fact sheets summarise the key learning points from each module for you to refer to once you have completed your learning online.
||Professional body member price